Mafokate not #100MenMarch ambassador

Government has dismissed claims that it appointed kwaito musician Arthur Mafokate as ambassador of its #100MenMarch.

Government Communication and Information System (GCIS) would like to place it on record that it has not invited Mr Mafokate to be part of the #100MenMarch. GCIS has not appointed him as an ambassador of the march and strongly condemns any mischievous association of the march with Mr Mafokate. The Sunday Sun associated Mr Mafokate with the #100MenMarch independently, the GCIS said on Monday.

Launched last week by the GCIS, the #100MenMarch, which is set to take place on Tuesday, calls on men to take a stand against women and children abuse.

The call comes in the wake of reports from Statistics South Africa that the country has seen a 117% increase in the murder rate for women between 2015 and 2016/17.

On Sunday, the Sunday Sun newspaper published a story that Mafokate had pledged to attend the #100MenMarch.

Mafokate is facing serious charges of gender based violence, with his case currently with the courts.

Government recognises that Mr Mafokate is facing serious charges of gender based violence and supports that the due legal processes unfold accordingly.

The charges faced by Mr Mafokate and his alleged conduct are in direct conflict of the ethos of #100MenMarch and rallying call by Government and its partners to create awareness on violence against women and children, said the GCIS.

While government said Mafokate is not an ambassador of the march, it reiterated that all men and women are welcome to participate in the march.

Government would like to reiterate that all men and women are welcome to the #100MenMarch.The march has been supported by a variety of artists, NGO representatives and media houses, who have committed to the values of the cause of the #100MenMarch.

Representative of rehabilitated gender based violence offenders will also attend the #100MenMarch, the GCIS said.

The #100MenMarch will draw men from diverse sectors, racial, political and religious backgrounds taking a united stance to end violence against women and children.

The voice of men is crucial in ending the scourge of violence against women and children. The march will serve as an invitation to all men and boys to respond to the 'Send Me � Thuma Mina' call and take a stand against the scourge of violence and abuse.

All South Africans must act to ensure a safer society for women and children and must do more to prevent violence and abuse against women, support survivors of abuse and bring perpetrators to justice, said the GCIS.

Source: South African Government News Agency

[related_post themes="text" id="14590"]