STERKSPRUIT – A successful five-day bi-lateral operation was held in the Sterkspruit area of the Joe Gqabi District.
SAPS members from different stations and units together with external stakeholders including crime intelligence, POP Unit, Stock Theft Unit, Mounted unit, Border policing, Immigration, Department of Employment and Labour, SANDF, VCIU, K9 Unit and the local Traffic Department all formed part of the operation.
Members were deployed daily in different teams that focused on the movement of livestock, visits to stock pounds and speculators, tracing of wanted suspects, high visibility patrols in the Sterkspruit area and next to the Tellebridge border, stop and search activities and roadblocks on the R 392.
The following successes were reached:
- Seven arrests for dealing and possession of drugs and dagga – 13 parcels of tik and dagga, 4 mandrax tablets in different sizes.
- Several dangerous weapons were confiscated.
- A stolen engine were identified of a Toyota quantum recovered at a scrap yard.
- Five undocumented persons were identified for the contravention of the Immigration Act.
- Livestock, seven and seven sheep were also recovered.
Arrests were made for kidnapping, assault and suspected stolen property.
A total of 698 people and 189 vehicles were searched.
J534 fines to the value of R8950-00 and traffic fines to the value of R24400-00 were issued.
The acting District Commissioner, Brig Asogran Naidoo applauded and thanked all the role players that made the operation a success.
Source: South African Police Service