Bus crash kills 25 in South Africa: minister

JOHANNESBURG, Twenty-five people died Monday when a bus rolled down an embankment in South Africa’s coastal Eastern Cape province, the country’s transport minister said.

Reports indicate that the driver lost control of the bus, which

subsequently rolled down a steep embankment, leaving 25 dead and

approximately 62 injured, Fikile Mbalula said in a statement.

To lose so many lives in a single accident is devastating and shocking.

The bus was carrying over 80 mainly elderly people to the town centre in

Butterworth, provincial transport department spokesman, Unathi Binqose, said.

The driver lost control of the vehicle and it rolled down a very steep

embankment, Binqose said, adding that the driver figured among the dead.

The crash was the deadliest accident in the province since 2015 when 35

people lost their lives.

Binqose said checks would be carried out if the bus had been roadworthy as

it may be a contributing factor.

South Africa has among the highest rate of road accidents in the region

owing to speeding and poor maintenance of some vehicles and roads.

The Road Traffic Management Corporation (RTMC) data shows over 14,000

people died in road crashes on South African roads in 2017.

Source: Nam News Network