Concern over fatal electrocutions

Mpumalanga police management has warned communities to desist from making illegal electricity connections.The warning comes after police in the province reported four deaths by eletrocution in the past week.“On Thursday, 9 February 2023, a 16-year-old …

Mpumalanga police management has warned communities to desist from making illegal electricity connections.

The warning comes after police in the province reported four deaths by eletrocution in the past week.

“On Thursday, 9 February 2023, a 16-year-old female who was in the company of her boyfriend lost her life. According to the victim’s boyfriend, they were walking on the wet street at night when he suddenly saw his girlfriend falling.

“Police were summoned to the scene and found the victim lying in a pool of water and there were loose electric cables lying around her. She was certified dead by medical personnel on the scene,” said provincial South African Police Service (SAPS) spokesperson Brigadier Selvy Mohlala.

In a separate incident in Block B, the deceased arrived home at about 5pm when his sister informed him that there was an electric fault. He went to fix the problem, but the deceased’s sister heard him screaming. She never took note until the deceased’s friend came home looking for him.

“When the deceased’s sister sent her younger sister to call him, she came back running and indicated that her brother was lying on the floor and not responding. She said she could only see him shaking. He was quickly rushed to hospital where he was certified dead,” said Mohlala.

In the third incident, a 36-year-old female from Gritana, Kamaqhekeza, was working her field at home on Monday at about 12.30pm when her family members noticed something strange.

“She was taken to hospital with burn bruises on her arm. She was also certified dead by the doctor in hospital.

“The fourth incident took place at Kamhlushwa when a 12-year-old boy was sent to the neighbour’s house. According to the deceased’s father, the victim was seen by other people falling. When they went to inspect, they realised that he was electrocuted by illegally connected electric cables,” Mohlala said.

The Provincial Commissioner of the SAPS in Mpumalanga, Lieutenant General Semakaleng Daphney Manamela called on communities to refrain from making illegal electricity connections as more lives might be lost.

Source: South African Government News Agency