NELSPRUIT- Police management in Mpumalanga have taken note of a video currently making rounds on social media, in which individuals are embroiled in a physical altercation at White River Police Station. This incident is said to have taken place yesterday, 28 March 2021, at about 11:30, in the morning. The SAPS management would like to state the following:
– This incident is unfortunate and shows lawlessness on the part of the individuals involved as a police station is not a battle ground.
– The conduct of the people who were involved in the physical fight is unacceptable and the man who appears on the video seen being pressed down to the ground is urged to register a criminal case for investigation purposes.
– The District Commissioner of Ehlanzeni, Major General Dianah Mashele, has urgently attended to the matter and further established a team led by two senior police officers to probe this matter departmentally, to scrutinise the conduct of the SAPS members who were on duty that day.
– An enquiry has been opened regarding this issue with a view to acquire detailed information on the matter.
– A criminal case of malicious damage to property and crimen injuria has been opened against the man who was pressed down as he is accused of colliding with a certain vehicle and allegedly uttered racial slurs.
– The police would like to inform the public that the Independent Police Investigation Directorate (IPID) is aware about this incident.
The SAPS management would like to further inform the public that they (SAPS) will investigate such matters without any fear or favour.
Source: South African Police Service